Physicians will document requested Laboratory tests for Outpatients on a Laboratory/Pathology requisition. This requisition should have all patient demographics, insurance, subscriber, collection information, diagnosis, selected tests and physician signature areas completed prior to being sent to the Laboratory. Provide mail and fax information on physicians being requested to receive copies of results.
When arriving at the hospital, the outpatient should arrive first in Patient Registration. The patient is required to have picture identification and current insurance information, which includes subscriber information. Once registration is completed in this area, the outpatient will travel to the Laboratory Outpatient Waiting area just outside the collection area. Patients will be taken care of on a first come first serve basis. After specimen collection, the patient will be given directions to additional departments, further collection instructions and/or information on the resulting process.
There will be instances on weekends and holidays, when patients arrive at the hospital to utilize the Laboratory services for routine testing.
The patient should proceed to Patient Registration, at this time the Laboratory will be contacted to determine the approximate wait time before a staff person will be available for the procedure. The patient will then be allowed to determine if this time frame is acceptable or not. If it is, the patient will be registered and instructed to travel to the Laboratory Outpatient Waiting area. If the time is unacceptable, the patient will return during the normal operating hours.
Patient Testing, Results and Reports
- Most Laboratory testing is processed throughout the day as it is received.
- Certain routine testing are batched and performed biweekly or weekly.
- Routine testing not performed within the Laboratory is forwarded to contracted reference Laboratories for completion.
- Hardcopy reports are forwarded to the physician offices on a daily basis. For more information, call 978-630-6256.
Scheduling Laboratory Tests
Routine outpatient testing/specimen collection is normally completed on a walk in basis.
There are several tests that require a scheduled appointment to complete. These tests are usually lengthy to complete or the process for testing is very time sensitive. It is because of this that the Laboratory makes appointments to plan appropriately for staffing.
Testing will be scheduled for routine operating hours of the collection area. Holidays, weekends and evenings are excluded.
Tests required to be scheduled in advance:
- Glucose Tolerance Tests (excluding 1 hour 50 gram screen)
- Semen Analysis (post-vasectomy only)
Procedure to Schedule Testing:
- Upon receipt of order from the physician/health care provider, the patient, physician or physician office staff may call the main Laboratory office at 978-630-6256.
- The Laboratory office staff will assist in making the appointments and give important information.