About the Library
Hours of operation are Monday-Thursday from 7:00am-3:30pm. Hours are subject to change due to holidays, etc. Patients and community members are encouraged to call ahead to schedule an appointment for detailed reference assistance. Physicians and hospital managers have 24 hour access.
Located on the Main Floor of the Hospital, adjacent to the Pierce Physician Conference Room and across from Patient Registration.
The Library & Resource Center is staffed during hours of operation by our Resource Center Assistant/CME Coordinator and volunteers.
Resource Center Assistant/CME Coordinator
Heywood Hospital Dr. Joseph S. Forte Library & Resource Center
242 Green Street
Gardner, MA 01440
Mission & Policies
The mission of the Dr. Joseph S. Forte Library & Resource Center is to provide quality information services in an accurate, timely, cost-effective and confidential manner to our patrons. This information is provided by maintaining a current book, journal and audio-visual collection, both in print and online.
Specialized services include: literature searches, ready reference and research assistance, interlibrary loans, Current Awareness Program, educational programs, and Continuing Medical Education coordination. Guided by the strategic initiatives of the Hospital as well as professional library standards, the Library & Resource Center supports the patient care, educational, and research needs of the Hospital and local community. The Library & Resource Center continues to strive for excellence by assessing the information needs of its users, measuring the results and improving its services.
Scope of Services
The Dr. Joseph S. Forte Library & Resource Center serves the information needs of the entire Hospital community. This includes the medical, nursing, and managerial staff, students, allied health and other Hospital employees, as well as our patients and local residents.
Library services provided include:
- Materials circulation
- Ready reference assistance
- Research assistance*
- Interlibrary loans
- Article Retrieval
- Continuing Medical Education
- Orientation to resources
- Educational programs
*Extensive reference or research assistance should be arranged by appointment to appropriately meet the patron's needs.
- Checkout: Patrons may check out materials by completing a Patron Registration Form (one time only.)
- Loan Period: Non-reference books and journals may circulate for two weeks, or for the period indicated by the lending library in the case of a book borrowed through interlibrary loan. Reference books and current issues of journals generally do not circulate. Audiovisual materials may be borrowed for one week.
- Renewal: Renewal of materials is possible provided that no other patron has made a request for the item.
- Returns: Library & Resource Center materials may be returned directly to the Resource Center Assistant or Resource Center Volunteer or through interoffice mail.
- Overdues: The Library & Resource Center will issue overdue notices. If the material is lost, the patron may be billed for the replacement cost of the item(s).
The Library & Resource Center participates in the National Library of Medicine's interlibrary loan system. If the Library & Resource Center does not have the materials requested by a patron, they may be obtained through interlibrary loan (ILL). The Library & Resource Center does not borrow or loan recorded media.
The Library & Resource Center welcomes gifts of books and other suitable materials to the collection. Gifts will not be subject to any conditions or restrictions. Items not added to the collection may be disposed of by sale, donation, or discard.
- Electronic Databases
- Corporate Archives
Useful Website Links
Medical Library Association's Top Ten Most Useful Websites for Patient Information