What if I need financial assistance?
The Patient Financial Services Department staff helps uninsured and underinsured people access affordable healthcare. This department is designed to help people access health insurance by offering assistance with application and enrollment into government-sponsored programs such as Connector Care and MassHealth.
Those who are not eligible for these programs may be eligible for full or partial free care for hospital services under the Massachusetts Health Safety Net Fund (HSN).
We have Financial Counselors available to help patients who need financial assistance. For your convenience, you can access some of this information right here:
- Heywood Hospital's Financial Assistance Policy
- Heywood Hospital's Financial Assistance Policy - Plain Language Summary
- Participating Providers in Heywood Hospital's Financial Assistance Policy
- Massachusetts Application for Health and Dental Coverage
- The Credit and Collections Policy of Heywood Hospital
What are the benefits of having health insurance?
You will have access to:
- Your own Primary Care Physician (family doctor)
- Preventative care
- Care when you are sick or injured
- Prescriptions at your local pharmacy
- Mental health and substance abuse treatment
- Eye examinations
- Dental care (available to some members only)
Eligibility is based on household size and adjusted gross income. You must also be a Massachusetts resident to qualify for the state-sponsored programs. If you are not a Massachusetts resident, please visit healthcare.gov to find out how to apply for health coverage in your state.
How do I apply?
Applications can be completed:
- online at https://mahealthconnector.optum.com/individual/
- over the phone by calling 1-800-841-2900 or 1-877-623-6765 or
- in-person by scheduling an appointment with one of our Financial Counselors*.
Financial Counselors are available by appointment to assist with the application process Monday through Friday 9 am - 3:30 pm.
Please call the nearest location for a brief screening and to go over the verifications needed to bring to your appointment:
242 Green Street
Gardner, MA 01440
2033 Main Street
Athol, MA 01331
The Heywood site serves Ashburnham, Gardner, Hubbardston, Templeton, Westminster and Winchendon.
The Athol site serves Athol, Orange, New Salem, Phillipston, Royalston, Wendell, Warwick, Petersham and Erving.
Other helpful numbers:
- The Massachusetts Health Connector 1-877-623-6765
- MassHealth Customer Service 1-800-841-2900