Update 5.22.2020: 4,393 tested, 453 positive, 3,756 negative
Heywood Healthcare is closely monitoring the spread of COVID-19 (2019 Novel Coronavirus) and is coordinating with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state public health officials to take every precaution to prepare us to provide safe care to all of our patients, including those who may present with COVID19 symptoms.
A Message from the Heywood Healthcare Board of Trustees
Dear Heywood Healthcare Employees:
The current pandemic has created the most challenging medical care environment our country has ever seen and as a result has put healthcare organizations in a position most of us could not have imagined possible. As Trustees of Heywood Healthcare, we want to acknowledge the amazing work that all of you are doing to care for the needs of our patients and communities in a positive, compassionate and professional manner as well as remaining mindful of your own personal safety and wellbeing.
Thank you for all you do!
Chair, Heywood Healthcare Board of Trustees
Important COVID19 Provisions at Heywood Healthcare
Hospital Precautionary Measures:
- The Heywood Hospital South entrance is closed until further notice. The only entrance available is the main entrance.
- The only entrance available at Athol Hospital is the Emergency Department Entrance.
- Strict Visitation Policy
- Inpatient Visitation Restricted to patients on comfort measures only, laboring mothers or extenuating circumstances. 1 healthy visitor is allowed. Laboring mothers can have this one consistent support person throughout their stay.
- Outpatient/Emergency Department Visitation restricted only to patients in need of a care-giver, healthcare proxy/decision-maker, guardian, or an extenuating circumstance. 1 healthy visitor is allowed to accompany patients to a procedure, test or appointment.
- Click here to see tips on ways to keep in touch with your loved ones who are in the hospital.
- Elective surgeries are cancelled until further notice. All surgeries done will be urgent or emergent.
- Long-term oncology patients are being rescheduled on a case by case basis.
- The cafeterias at Heywood and Athol Hospital are closed for public use until further notice.
- All support groups, classes, club meetings, etc. held on Heywood Healthcare campuses are suspended indefinitely.
- The UMass Specialty Office and Leominster Dermatology offices on the Heywood campus will be closed until further notice.
- The Life Center is closed until further notice.
- All non-essential personnel, including students and interns, are temporarily restricted from Heywood Hospital, Athol Hospital, and all Heywood Medical Group locations.
- All vendors are restricted. Alternate arrangements have been made on necessity.
- Our Mental Health Unit is temporarily closed. If there is a large demand, it will be open and available. In the meantime, our Partial Hospitalization Program and The Quabbin Retreat are still operating.
Satellite Location Precautions:
- Our Urgent Care (located on Main St. in Gardner) and Tully Walk-in (located in the Market Basket Plaza in Athol) locations are open for Care Operations for sick visits Monday – Friday 8:00 am - 7:30 pm, and Sat/Sun 9:00 am - 4:30 pm.
- Please be reminded we are not providing “on demand” testing. Patients who visit these locations will be screened and tested if they meet clinical criteria for testing.
- Please click here for a list of all our Heywood Medical Group Practices' updated hours. It is important that patients call their Primary Care Provider if they suspect they have COVID19 in order to receive the most up to date information.
- Our Primary Care Physicians have received training on Telemedicine so we may continue to efficiently, effectively and safely support our patients needs throughout this challenging time.
- The Heywood Rehab Center (located on Pearson Blvd) will now operate on the following schedule: Mon & Fri 7:00 am - 12:00 pm, Tues 12:00 pm - 4:30 pm, Thurs 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- The Athol Outpatient Rehab Clinic will now operate on the following schedule: Mon & Wed 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Several of the area schools are continuing to provide students with school breakfast and/or lunches, and Heywood is assisting to supplement with food items. Thank you to Advanced Cable Ties, who has provided support and a location for warehouse storage of the food items.
- Our Tele-Behavioral Health services are continuing. If your school is interested in participating, please contact Morgan Ban-Draoi at 978-724-0010.
- We have recordings of some of our youth activity programming. Activities include exercise and others ways to encourage our youth to continue to be active and healthy during this uncertain time.
- Visit the "Community Support & Self Care" tab for resources for keeping you and your family safe during this pandemic.
Please continue to refer to Heywood Healthcare’s websites and social media platforms for the most up to date information