Laboratory Phone: (978) 630-6256
The Laboratory is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week to meet the immediate needs of all patients. Outpatient Laboratory work is performed throughout the day.
Outpatient Collection Services are open:
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays): 6:45 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Physicians will document requested Laboratory tests for Outpatients on a Laboratory/Pathology requisition. This requisition should have all patient demographics, insurance, subscriber, collection information, diagnosis, selected tests and physician signature areas completed prior to being sent to the Laboratory. Provide mail and fax information on physicians being requested to recieve copies of results.
When arriving at the hospital, the outpatient should arrive first in Patient Registration. The patient is required to have picture identification and current insurance information, which includes subscriber information. Once registration is completed in this area, the outpatient will travel to the Laboratory Outpatient Waiting area just outside the collection area. Patients will be taken care of on a first come first serve basis. After specimen collection, the patient will be given directions to additional departments, further collection instructions and/or information on the resulting process.
There will be instances on weekends and holidays, when patients arrive at the hospital to utilize the Laboratory services for routine testing.
The patient should proceed to Patient Registration, at this time the Laboratory will be contacted to determine the approximate wait time before a staff person will be available for the procedure. The patient will then be allowed to determine if this time frame is acceptable or not. If it is, the patient will be registered and instructed to travel to the Laboratory Outpatient Waiting area.
If the time is unacceptable, the patient will return during the normal operating hours.
Patient Testing, Results and Reports
Most Laboratory testing is processed throughout the day as it is received.
Certain routine testing are batched and performed biweekly or weekly.
Routine testing not performed within the Laboratory is forwarded to contracted reference Laboratories for completion. Results are available via the computer system upon file verification or hardcopy report.
Hardcopy reports are forwarded to the physician offices on a daily basis, via the computer system, routine mail, or hand delivered to designated physician "mail boxes" in house. For more information, call (978) 630-6256.
Scheduling Laboratory Tests
Routine outpatient testing/specimen collection is normally completed on a walk in basis.
There are several tests that require a scheduled appointment to complete. These tests are usually lengthy to complete or the process for testing is very time sensitive. It is because of this that the Laboratory makes appointments to plan appropriately for staffing.
Testing will be scheduled for routine operating hours of the collection area. Holidays, weekends and evenings are excluded.
Tests required to be scheduled in advance:
- Glucose Tolerance Tests (excluding 1 hour 50 gram screen)
- Semen Analysis (both for fertility and post-vasectomy)
Procedure to Schedule Testing:
- Upon receipt of order from the physician/health care provider, the patient, physician or physician office staff may call the main Laboratory office at 978-630-6256.
- The Laboratory office staff will assist in making the appointments and give important information.
- There is a limit of two patients undergoing Glucose Tolerance Testing per day. Patients will be expected to be fasting upon arrival, allowed to take daily medications with limited water, and will remain in the outpatient waiting area during the duration of the testing. There is no smoking or chewing of gum allowed during the procedure.
- Samples for semen analysis must arrive within 60 minutes after collection, three days post abstinence, kept at body temperature and delivered in a clean dry container. NO specimens collected in condoms will be accepted. Extensive collection requirements will be provided to the patient or office at the time the appointment is being made.
- The patient should bring the physician order form to the hospital and arrive in Patient Registration approximately 15 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment. This is to complete the necessary paperwork for registration. The patient will then travel to Laboratory Outpatient Waiting area where they will be greeted to begin the procedure/process.